Click here to find where to vote in Ashfield-Djarrawunang Ward
We will get the basics right. Our plan is to build public infrastructure and manage the Council responsibly – Mark Drury
We will improve our streets, fix our footpaths, and revitalise our town centres. We will protect our beautiful built and natural environment while creating a greener Inner West with more trees, parks and public spaces. We will make the Council more responsive and accountable to ratepayers and residents.
Labor’s Covid-19 Response
Our community has done it tough during the pandemic. Labor will always have your back during hard times. We secured rates relief for those in need, switched off parking meters, and extended nighttime lighting in Council parks. Our long-term plan will make sure Council gets the basics right, so that, together, our community will come back stronger.
Labor will make the council work for you by getting the basics right.
- Infrastructure: we will revitalise our main streets by investing $15 million over 3 years to upgrade footpaths, installing new street furniture and planting more trees on main streets. We will increase the budget for maintenance and street cleaning by 10%.
- Reimagining our laneways for economic recovery: we will help local businesses recover and promote cultural events by expanding the use of laneways for community activities, pedestrian access, and dining.
- Green spaces: we will upgrade Yeo Park in Ashfield, the Darryl Jackson Gardens in Summer Hill, and Johnson Park in Dulwich Hill, and plant the new Lewis Herman Reserve park in Ashfield.
- Sustainability: we will take practical environmental action by planting more trees with a record $5 million new tree budget, promoting water-sensitive urban design, and expanding the food recycling program to all households.
- Accountability: we will make it easier for you to talk to Council staff, give you more ways to find out about maintenance schedules, and introduce a Customer Service Charter to make Council accountable to you. Because Council is here to serve you.
- Responsibility: we will look after our communities’ assets for generations to come through regular maintenance of town halls, libraries, parks and pools, we will provide sound economic management, and we will focus on local issues that matter to you.
Making the Council work for You
We stand for a responsible, sustainable, and progressive Council that works for the community we all love.
We believe in a Council that has a long-term plan to build infrastructure and deliver reliable services, that gives people a helping hand, celebrates our vibrant culture, supports local businesses, and that creates green public spaces for communities to grow. This is our vision for how Council can continue to strengthen our community.
We would be honoured to have your vote in the Council elections on 4 December 2021.
Contact us at 0448 722 942 or [email protected] to have your say.
- Built the great new Ashfield Aquatic Centre.
- Helped apartments recycle their food waste with the new food recycling program.
- Ensured sensible and sustainable budgetary management.
- Delivered more green spaces, more playgrounds, and more sporting facilities.
- Led on environmental sustainability: MySchool Solar, and energy-efficient street lighting.
- 100% divestment from fossil fuels.
- Promoted live music venues and art exhibitions.
- Helped people fall in love with music by providing free musical instruments at Ashfield Library